RE: st: xtabond fixed effect prediction

From   "Monica L. Parra Torrado" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: xtabond fixed effect prediction
Date   Tue, 20 Apr 2004 19:04:28 -0400

Tewodaj,
Thanks for the answer, you are right in the reference manual says the
estimation uses random effects.  Regarding the prediction, however, when we
estimate using xtreg with random effects we are able to predict them, so I
wonder if there's a way I can recover the predicted ones in the context of
xtabond given that we are differencing?
Best,

M�nica L.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of TEWODAJ MOGUES
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 6:18 PM
To: Stata _
Subject: Re: st: xtabond fixed effect prediction

Hi Monica:

First of all, it is my understanding, in contrast to the posting by Jacob in
response to Kate (see below), that the underlying model that the xtabond
estimator first-differences takes the individual effects are taken to be
random effects, not fixed effects. This can be verified in the Stata
reference manual for Su-Z, p.291 bottom. Given that, one cannot get an
estimate of the individual effect alpha(i), since it is not taken to be a
fixed unknown parameter but a random variable.

But a related question has been preoccupying me too: When the structural
model that the Arellano-Bond estimator (which is what the xtabond is)
estimates is differenced, not only is the individual effect swept out, but
also any constant (ie. intercept) that the structural model may have had.
However, xtabond produces estimates not only for the slope coefficients, but
also for a constant. What should I make of that? Is it "sneaking" in an
intercept in the differenced model before estimating it, i.e. is it
estimating

y(it) = alpha + D x(it) * beta + D e(it)      (where D is the Delta sign)

instead of estimating (what I think it should be doing):

y(it) = D x(it) * beta + D e(it) ?

or is it estimating the latter, but computing the constant alpha from the
estimates of beta? Anyone know where xtabond is getting the intercept
estimate from?

Thanks,
Tewodaj

Message: 16