st: RE: Majordomo results

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: Majordomo results
Date   Tue, 20 Apr 2004 17:59:18 -00

I have posed the questions to Stata tech support, but the answers
have not been entirely satisfactory.  I would really appreciate your
help in this:

1) Is there a Stata command to export data (to text format for
example) which does not use the display format of the variables (but
instead uses the storage format)?
2) If not, is it possible to export with a dictionary (the reverse of
infilling with a dictionary), or is this done by manipulating the
display formats prior to the export?
3) How can one make sure that there is no precision lost (however
insignificant that may be) if one has to export data from a Stata
file (assuming the import into Stata was done correctly), and does
not have the "raw data" for comparison purposes (i.e. does formatting
all vars to something like %17.6f take care of that)?

For example:
If I use insheet to import 103192286.98 into Stata, and then outsheet
the record I get back something like 1.03e+08.  Why is this
happening?  Stata reads in the variable as a float, and assigns a
display format of %9.0g.  Even if I change the display format, I
still get a rounding error (and if I check in the browser, the number
is 1.03e+08).

Thanks
Yuriy