st: RE: Initial values maximum likelihood

From   "FEIVESON, ALAN H. (AL) (JSC-SK) (NASA)" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Initial values maximum likelihood
Date   Fri, 16 Apr 2004 10:33:36 -0500

Alejandro - There is a rather arcane description of how to set initial
values on pp.115-6 of the ml-manual. Perhaps I can save you some frustration
by giving you a simple example where you are only setting values for the
"constant" terms in each linear combination:

ml model lf radpow (zal:`1'= ) (zbe:`3') (ga: )
ml init  zal:_cons=-5.0  /zbe:_cons=-3.5 /ga:_cons=1.5

Quite often, however, the reason you get the "could not find feasible
values" message is because something is wrong with the way your likelihood
is calculated (trying to take log of a negative number, or partially missing
data, etc)

Hope this helps

Al Feiveson