st: RE: Panel Data Analysis

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Panel Data Analysis
Date   Thu, 15 Apr 2004 20:04:11 +0100

We've seen various versions of this question before,
on 29 March and 1 April.

On 29 March, I said (among other things)

=============
Having said that, 3 years' worth (or is it
2 years' worth, 1999 and 2001) of data is not much
basis for fitting a panel model. You're pretty much
reduced to a cross-sectional study, if I understand
you correctly.
=============

As far as I can tell no one else has commented,
nor have you replied to this comment.

I have raised a question, which I now put more
strongly: It appears from what
you tell us that your dataset is inadequate
for testing the kind of model you are interested
in. How do you expect to get a handle on the dynamics
from two time points? All worries about fixed
or random effects, autocorrelation, heteroskedasticity,
etc. are quite secondary until this is answered.

Either I am wrong here, in which case tell me
with a reasoned argument;
or you really should be talking this through
with an advisor or supervisor. Sorry to
be blunt.

Sukhdev Kumar