st: how to destring variables containing char " ' "

From   Shourun Guo <>
Subject   st: how to destring variables containing char " ' "
Date   Wed, 14 Apr 2004 12:49:41 -0400

I have a hard time to destring some variables with both characters and numbers. The numbers are what I want. The characters may contain " ' ". If I include this character in the option of ignore, I will get error message of mismatch type. If  I don't, I will be reminded that the conversion won't be done because some non-numeric character (I am sure it is the " ' ")exists. It seems that the STATA confuses the double quotation and the single quotation. Any suggestions.