st: Breslow baseline hazard estimator of Cox.

From   Stephen McKay <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Breslow baseline hazard estimator of Cox.
Date   Tue, 13 Apr 2004 19:59:09 +0100

>Dear Stata Users:
>
>Does anyone know how to estimate the Breslow baseline hazard
>estimators of Cox model using Stata? Or SAS, R?
>
>THanks. Have a nice day.
>
>Sincerely.
>Carl

I'm sure the st suite of stata commands will accomplish this (or
something near it, since you need some assumptions to get a "baseline
hazard").

If you prefer R, then you would do something like this:

fit<-( coxph( Surv(start, stop, event) ~ x, data))
[use method="breslow" if you must - last I checked R defaulted to efron]
basehaz(fit,centered=TRUE)
[use centred=FALSE for covariates=0, rather than at their means]

For extended advice you might check out the textbook examples at the
UCLA site:
http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/examples/asa/default.htm

Steve