st: RE: ...stepwise regression...

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: ...stepwise regression...
Date   Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:03:58 +0100

I suspect that -sw- does not offer all the procedures
which have been dubbed "stepwise". In addition there
is a terminology problem. As far as I understand the matter,

stepwise sensu lato (broad sense) includes "forwards
only" and "backwards only" methods as special cases;

but stepwise sensu stricto (narrow sense) means a procedure
in which you can proceed backwards _and_ forwards (which
is _not_ available in -sw-, I believe).

I also guess, wildly, that -sw- might be regarded
with perfect hindsight as a mistake. Put it this way:
if -sw- did not exist in Stata, I doubt that StataCorp
would implement it now. The collective statistical attitude
seems to have shifted towards regarding such methods as
snake oil.

It is difficult, indeed impossible, to say what you should do
without knowing any of the scientific or practical background to your
project. It's your decision to make.