st: ...stepwise regression...

To   "stata group mail" <>
Subject   st: ...stepwise regression...
Date   Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:42:58 +0200

Nick, many thanks for your help.
I have read the FAQ file on Stata Site. I share their (Harrel & Conroy)
view on this point, but I have to set a interpretation model of a dipendent
variable and I have more than 500 indipendent variables. I have select the
more correlate variables but I need a procedure to select the most explanatory
If I don't apply the sw linear regression I don't know how select the indipendent
variables. I have to do.
But the procedure in Stata doesn't correspond to the model I studied in
many manuals. In particular, the sw procedure should go forward and back
but in Stata I don't see the different between the sw and the forward or
backward simple selections.
If I don't use the sw procedure, how select the variables??

Many many thanks.