st: Re: Stata Update

From   "Susan Yates" <>
Subject   st: Re: Stata Update
Date   Tue, 13 Apr 2004 08:31:42 +0000

When I try to update Stata 8 or use SSC I get the following error messages:
could not open local network socket did not respond or is not a valid update site

. ssc desc c
could not open local network socket either
1) is not a valid URL, or
2) could not be contacted, or
3) is not a Stata download site (has no stata.toc file).

All other links from Stata Help Menu work.
I could update last week (I should not have had a holiday!) and I am unaware of altering my PC's configuration. Can anybody suggest what I have done wrong and how I can get update to work again.
Many thanks,

* For searches and help try: