Re: st: RE: logging ouput from a called program

From   "Danielle H. Ferry" <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: logging ouput from a called program
Date   Fri, 09 Apr 2004 15:34:12 -0400

Ok, I had to put the log statement inside reg_n_hold. I was hoping there was a way to do it from outside, but this is fine. Thanks.

Nick Cox wrote:

The -log- is just echoing what your program produces. It does nothing else. So you need
to change your program.
-reg_n_hold- is presumably a program under your
control. I have two guesses.
1. It appears that it keeps quiet about what it does; so, you may have to get inside that program to change that behaviour.
2. Alternatively, this code you reproduce is all within some
quietly {
group, in which case prefixing -reg_n_hold- with "noisily" may be sufficient.
Danielle H. Ferry

I've got the following inside a program:

log using reg1_`1'_r`2'_m`3', replace;
forval i = 1(1)4 {;
di "";
di "--> Outcome = `1'; Race = `2'; MarEduc = `i'";
reg_n_hold `1' `2' `i' `3';
log close;

Essentially, I do a bunch of stuff and want to log only this piece. "reg_n_hold" is another program which runs a specified regression. It is this output which I really want to log. But the log doesn't show the ouput for what "reg_n_hold" produces". Is there some way to force the log to see what is inside reg_n_hold?