st: remove blanks in a string

From   "Oleksandr Shepotylo" <>
To   "statalist" <>
Subject   st: remove blanks in a string
Date   Thu, 8 Apr 2004 11:00:03 -0400

Dear statalist,

Probably very simple question, but I could not find simple solution:

    I need to remove blanks in strings of the folloving structure:
"xxxxxxxxx x",  where x is a simbol. It might be helpful to mention that
simbols are actually numbers.
    I tried to do it in Excel that is supposed to be very simple, but it
deletes zeroes in the beginning or end of the strings even though I
mentioned that they should be treated as text.