Re: st: ORs for non-rare outcomes

From   Tim Wade <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: ORs for non-rare outcomes
Date   Thu, 8 Apr 2004 07:14:33 -0700 (PDT)

Rothman, Modern Epidemiology Second Edition, pages 93
states: "in general the rare-disease assumption is not
needed in case control studies, except of the
cumulative type". The cumulative type means that
controls are sampled from "that portion of the
population that remains after eliminating accumulated
cases". The odds ratio will be an estimate of the
Relative Risk (IRR or CIR) when controls are selected
using density sampling. I'm not sure how this relates
to your situation, but it would be worth reading over
this section, or some other related papers and
considering how your cases and controls were selected
in relation to the underlying source population.

Tim

=====