st: MSTDIZE

From   "Donnell Butler" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: MSTDIZE
Date   Wed, 7 Apr 2004 11:51:33 -0400

Good Day,

As always, if anyone can direct me to an existing response in the archives
or answer these questions, it will be greatly appreciated.

This time I am trying to update a 2000 two-way table using 2004 one-way
information. I wanted to do it using IPF (iterative proportional fitting). I
soon learned that Nick Cox created a program (MSTDIZE) that may be useful.
However, I am obviously not framing the data correctly to obtain the desired
goal.

Here is a simplified version of the dilemma:

(1) Imagine a two-way table of proportions:
    HSize00   1    2  Totals
Inc00  1    .55  .12     .67
Inc00	 2    .20  .13     .33
Totals      .75  .25    1.00

(2) Imagine two one-way tables to be used to update the two-way table:
Inc04    HSize04
1  .60   1  .65
2  .40   2  .35

(3) To attempt MSTDIZE, I have entered the data into Stata as follows:

Inc00  Hsize00 IbyH00  Inc04	HSize04
0.67	 0.75    0.55    0.60 	0.65
0.33 	 0.25    0.12    0.40 	0.35
               0.20
               0.13

(4) So in Stata the data looks like this:
 . list

     | igroup00   hsize00   ibyh00   igroup04   hsize04 |
     |--------------------------------------------------|
  1. |      .33       .22      .13         .4       .35 |
  2. |      .67       .78      .56         .6       .65 |
  3. |        .         .      .19          .         . |
  4. |        .         .      .12          .         . |

(5) When I run MSTDIZE, this is the output:
. mstdize   ibyh00 igroup04 hsize04, by(igroup00 hsize00) generate (ibyh04)

----------------------
          |  Hsize00
 Igroup00 |  .22   .78
----------+-----------
      .33 | 0.35
      .67 |       0.65
----------------------
(2 missing values generated)

(6) Well, that is not what I hoped for. I was hoping for a new table
(ibyh04) with 4 observations (new row1/column1, new r1c2, new r2c1, and new
r2c2). Instead, I ended up with 2 observations that were exactly the same as
hsize04.

(7) This is probably a case of not really understanding what MSTDIZE is
designed to do. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get Stata (via
MSTDIZE or another means) to obtain an IPF adjusted ibyh04 (two-way table
updated from original two-way and two one-ways)?

(8) And, as a bonus. I gathered those proportions from tab hsize igroup,
cell command. So, if anyone knows how I could easily turn those relative
frequencies into a variable. I do know that the tab hsize igroup, cell
matcell (matname) produces a 2x2 matrix of actual (not relative)
frequencies. What I don't know is how to get relative frequencies in that
matrix? Or, how to transfer or use matrices in a simpler way than what I did
by hand above by transcribing the frequencies into excel for new data set
variable generation?

As always my advanced thanks for considering my question.

And, if anyone can suggest a course that I could attend or do on the web
regarding programming in Stata (matrices and macros, etc.), that would be
helpful as well.

Best Wishes,
Donnell

Donnell Butler