Re: st: tabstat documentation

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: tabstat documentation
Date   Thu, 01 Apr 2004 12:49:10 -0600

David Airey <[email protected]> asks:

> Maybe the online help for tabstat contains an error?
>
> --snip--
> Description
>     With the by() option, tabstat resembles "tabulate varname,
>     summarize(varlist)" in that both report statistics of
>     varlist for the different values of varname.  tabstat
>     allows more flexibility in terms of the statistics
>     presented and the format of the table.
>
> --snip--
>
> tabulate varname, summarize(varlist) or tabsum does not take a varlist
> for the summarize option.

The way it is worded needs to be improved.  I am working on that
now.  The -varlist- it mentions in the description above is the
-varlist- shown in the -tabstat- syntax diagram.  -tabstat- does
allow multiple variables while -tabulate , summarize()- only
allows one variable in the -summarize()- option.

My current candidate for the replacement wording is

    "tabstat var , by(byvar)" resembles "tabulate byvar,
    summarize(var)" in that both report statistics of var for the
    different values of byvar.  tabstat allows more flexibility
    in terms of the statistics presented and the format of the
    table.

If anyone has better wording, let me know (my email address is
below).

Ken Higbee    [email protected]
StataCorp     1-800-STATAPC