Re: st: Pie Graph Question

From   Ernest Berkhout <>
To, <>
Subject   Re: st: Pie Graph Question
Date   Thu, 01 Apr 2004 11:03:43 +0200

At 20:02 31/03/2004, Josip Dasovic wrote:
Hello Statalisters:

Despite a rather exhaustive search, I am stumped and am hoping that a list
member (or three) will come to the rescue regarding a question I have about
the graph_pie command in Stata.
I have created a series of pie graphs, for which the slices denote relative
proportions of various ethnic groups within a village (52 villages
in all, necessitating 52 pie graphs--all on one page).  This I have managed
to accomplish
I would then like to adjust the size (i.e. diameter) of each pie to reflect
the level of
inter-ethnic violence in each village (the values for which are contained in
separate variable--let's call it "violence").  First of all, how can I
the size of the pie graphs, and secondly, can I use the values of the
variable to adjust the pie graph sizes accordingl?

I don't think that pie graphs are the right instrument for this. In pie graphs, one merely shows relative shares of categories, thereby disregarding the absolute sizes of the all-categories-total. If the latter is important, it's better to use stacked bars. Exactly similar to using pies is using a stacked bar of ethnic groups that always sums up to 100%. But what you want are stacked bars that stack the absolute figures of (relative size of ethnic groups) * (total size of violence) for each village.

Ernest Berkhout
SEO Amsterdam Economics
University of Amsterdam

Room 3.08