Re: st: RE: Re: OS memory availability

From   Fred Wolfe <[email protected]>
To   [email protected], <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: RE: Re: OS memory availability
Date   Wed, 31 Mar 2004 04:48:00 -0600

Using systeminfo my machine reports
Total physical memory: 2047
Available physical memory: 1405

However, Stata refuse to set mem until 1100m:

. set mem 1400m
op. sys. refuses to provide memory
r(909);

. set mem 1300m
op. sys. refuses to provide memory
r(909);

. set mem 1200m
op. sys. refuses to provide memory
r(909);

. set mem 1100m

This is the number allowed by the following updated program:

*! memtest.ado v1.0.2 fw 3/30/04 determines maximum allowable memory
*! and current memory. Allowable value in mb is returned in r(osmem_m)
*! keywords: memory
program define memtest, rclass
version 8.2
preserve
clear
qui query memory
local oldmem = `r(memory)'
local memtest = 2000
while `memtest' > 100 {
cap set mem `memtest'm
if _rc == 0 {
di in green "Maximum value of memory allowed by OS is " in yellow"`memtest'm"
continue, break
}
local memtest = `memtest' - 100
}
return scalar osmem_m = `memtest'
set mem `oldmem'k
restore
end

which produces the following output:

. memtest
Maximum value of memory allowed by OS is 1100m

Current memory allocation

current memory usage
settable value description (1M = 1024k)
set maxvar 5000 max. variables allowed 1.733M
set memory 1100M max. data space 1,100.000M
set matsize 800 max. RHS vars in models 4.950M
1,106.682M

. return list

scalars:
r(osmem_m) = 1100