Re: st: OS memory availability

From   David Kantor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: OS memory availability
Date   Tue, 30 Mar 2004 14:18:55 -0500

Regarding Fred Wolfe's question:

I don't know, and I wish I did know.

I have been in the situation of wanting to know how much memory I can request, without going in to virtual memory -- so as to handle a large dataset without the significant slowdown of virtual memory . I suspect that this is what you are looking for.

From just experimentation, I have found that with 256mb of real memory, I can request about 230mb -- maybe as much as 234mb -- before invoking virtual memory. That's about 90% of real memory. (And the only way I know that I am using virtual memory is by the obvious slowing and all the disk activity.)

This may depend on what else is running and maybe what has recently been running. It helps if no other programs are running; it may also help if you reboot just before starting your run (maybe).

I'm curious to learn what others have to say.
-- David