Re: st: identifying even & odd numbers

From   David Kantor <>
Subject   Re: st: identifying even & odd numbers
Date   Tue, 30 Mar 2004 13:30:44 -0500

If you just want an indicator of evenness, a concise way is...
 gen byte newvar = ~mod(oldvar, 2)

-- David K.

At 01:10 PM 3/30/2004 -0500, Danielle Ferry wrote:
I apologize if this has been addressed previously. I haven't found anything in the archives, though I feel as though it surely must be there somewhere. I am wondering if there is a way to create a new variable that takes on a value if another variable is an even or an odd number. For example, can you do something like this:
ge newvar = 1 if oldvar is even
If this has made its way thru the list before, perhaps someone can suggest better search keywords for the archives? Thanks.
David Kantor
Institute for Policy Studies
Johns Hopkins University