Re: st: Re: hessian condition number

From   "Clive Nicholas" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: hessian condition number
Date   Tue, 30 Mar 2004 03:43:29 +0100 (BST)

Kit Baum wrote:

>> The condition number of a p.d. matrix is related to the ratio of its
>> largest to smallest eigenvalues. They are the roots of the
>> characteristic polynomial of the matrix. "findit condition number". I
>> have never heard of taking the log10 of the condition number;
>> well-conditioned regressor matrices are usually condition<20 (with
>> condition being the positive sqrt of the ratio). See Belsley et al. as
>> referenced under [r] regression diagnostics.

Thanks for your help and contributions. As I had posted previously, Dow
and Endersby's recent article in Electoral Studies, in which they compare
the merits of multinomial logit and multinomial probit (at least as far as
political science is concerned), proposed reporting the log10 of the
hessian as a standard diagnostic to either model. I'm saying neither that
they are right nor that they are wrong: I simply wanted to see how you did
it in Stata. Now I know (I think).

Still, if you're a Stata fundamentalist and you don't have access to
LIMDEP, you won't worry too much as to the merits of MNL and MNP, since -
for now - you can only fit MNL models. Unless somebody at College Station
has future plans afoot...

CLIVE NICHOLAS        |t: 0(44)191 222 5969
Politics              |e: [email protected]
Newcastle University  |http://www.ncl.ac.uk/geps