st: RE: Date Data/Asserts

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Date Data/Asserts
Date   Sat, 27 Mar 2004 15:54:26 -0000

You identify the problems very clearly, and you
are aware of some useful tools here. However,
a variable so messy is not going to surrender
faced with just a single weapon of mess dissection.

Here's one way of proceeding.

I copied your data and argued as follows.

1. The value is most commonly the first word
of the string, but we want it as a number.

. gen fvalue = real(word(ferritin,1))
(140 missing values generated)

2. The date is most commonly the second word
of the string, interpreted as a (recent) daily date.

. gen fdate = date(word(ferritin,2),"mdy",2050)
(162 missing values generated)

3. I see lots of values with "U"s. I want to check
that when "U" occurs it occurs only as itself.

. assert ferritin == "U" if index(ferritin, "U")

Here -assert- says nothing. No news is good news,
i.e. Stata assents to the assertion. (In this
case, all "U"s are bad news, i.e. no information
at all.)

4. So I know all about the "U" problem. What values
are missing, but not because of "U"?

. list ferritin fvalue if mi(fvalue) & ferritin != "U"

     +------------------------+
     |      ferritin   fvalue |
     |------------------------|
178. |        normal        . |
225. |                      . |
286. | >1400 3/24/99        . |
324. |   > 2K 1/7/02        . |
     +------------------------+

You have to decide what to do about these.

5. What dates are missing, but not because of
these?

. list ferritin fdate if mi(fdate) & ferritin != "U"

     +---------------------------+
     |          ferritin   fdate |
     |---------------------------|
 66. |         5760 5/02       . |
 70. |              4968       . |
 98. |         4782 6/02       . |
117. |         1137 4/02       . |
121. |         3237 3/01       . |
     |---------------------------|
126. |         1060 8/02       . |
148. | 1422 ng/ml 3/1998       . |
154. |         1014 8/01       . |
178. |            normal       . |
209. |  646 mg/ml 9/2000       . |
     |---------------------------|
210. |              1938       . |
212. |               127       . |
225. |                         . |
278. |          129 6/00       . |
289. |              2000       . |
     |---------------------------|
300. |              4995       . |
301. |         2748 9/02       . |
302. |        187 3/2000       . |
303. |               489       . |
305. |        3564 11/01       . |
     |---------------------------|
307. |          862 1990       . |
324. |       > 2K 1/7/02       . |
333. |         3039 2/02       . |
338. |   1777 ng/ml 5/02       . |
352. |           40 3/02       . |
     |---------------------------|
357. |               953       . |
     +---------------------------+

Similarly, you have to decide what to do here. There
are, it seems, various kinds of problem:

* No date supplied.
* A year only supplied.
* A month and year only supplied.
* A day, month and year supplied.
* More than two words in the string.

In fact, we would have been better off
trying to extract the date from
-word(ferritin,-1)-, and that would
yield one further daily date.

You can use -assert- to test for truth
or falsity. Thus

. assert 42 == int(42)

asserts that 42 is an integer. More
usefully

. assert x == int(x)

asserts that -x- contains integer
values only, as only for integers
is -x- unchanged by applying the -int()-
function.

Similarly

. assert real(date(stringvar, "mdy", 2050)) < .

asserts that all values of stringvar can
be treated as daily dates. By itself -assert- has
very little syntax, and using it requires knowledge
of other parts of Stata.

Ward Hagar