Re: st: Competing risks

From   May Boggess <>
Subject   Re: st: Competing risks
Date   22 Mar 2004 16:10:01 -0600

On Mondy, Sarah Senesky wrote:
> I would like to estimate a duration model with competing risks.  Is this
> possible in Stata?  Could anyone direct me to information about how to run
> models with competing risks?

There is an FAQ on the topic:

Scroll down a little until you get to the section on competing risks.
This section describes how to do a Cox Model with competing risks in

There are many survival books with a chapter on competing risks, but one
I particularly like is by Marubini and Valsecchi, " Analysing Survival
Data from Clinical Trials and Observational Studies". Wiley: Chichester,

Marubini and Valsecchi discuss, among other things, the cumulative
incidence function, which is the equivalent of 1 - KM (the Kaplan-Meier
curve) when competing risks are present. To compute this you will find
the user-written command -stcompet- very useful. Type

findit stcompet

on the command line in Stata when your computer is linked to the

-- May