st: Difference btw "clear" & "drop _all"

Subject   st: Difference btw "clear" & "drop _all"
Date   Fri, 19 Mar 2004 16:14:03 -0500

Hi all,

I am a newbie to STATA and I have a question regarding "clear" and "drop _all".

According to STATA, these two are supposed to be the same. However, if I use "clear", even my matrices are deleted from the memory, as opposed to "drop _all", which just deletes the variables but maintains matrices in the memory. Can anyone tell me more about the differences between these two commands?

Thank you very much!

Only $9.95 a month -- Sign up today at

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

Download now at