RE: st:Confidence interval of difference between two proportions and -csi-

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st:Confidence interval of difference between two proportions and -csi-
Date   Fri, 19 Mar 2004 17:38:46 -0000

Frequentist vs Bayes could be a red herring here, or at least
that's my prior belief. Quite often, procedures suggested from
a Bayes viewpoint turn out to have a frequentist interpretation,
and vice versa, so the practical answer is identical, just that
the arm-waving varies. In particular, frequentists and Bayesians
should all be able to agree that intervals should not stray
outside [0,1] (I hope).

Thus the Jeffreys procedure for binomial confidence intervals
is a continuity-corrected version of Clopper-Pearson. Dyed-in-the-wool
frequentists can forget all about the prior distribution in the
original.

See also e.g.

Donald B. Rubin. 1984.
Bayesianly justifiable and relevant frequency calculations
for the applied statistician. The Annals of Statistics
12: 1151-1172.