RE: st:Confidence interval of difference between two proportions and -csi-

From   "FEIVESON, ALAN H. (AL) (JSC-SK) (NASA)" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st:Confidence interval of difference between two proportions and -csi-
Date   Fri, 19 Mar 2004 10:26:19 -0600

Garry - In order to construct an exact confidence interval using classical
methods, the probability of observing a difference as extreme or more
extreme than the one you got, would have to be a monotone function of the
difference betwen the "true" probabilities of occurrence. But this is not
the case -  the above probability is not an explicit function of the
difference alone; it also depends on the actual values of the "true"
probabilities. A better approach would be to use Bayesian methods. Then you
could get a posterior distribution of the difference that would make "sense"
(i.e it would have support only in [-1, +1] ).

Al Feiveson

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2004 9:23 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: st:Confidence interval of difference between two
proportions and -csi-

The terminology "exact" is indeed used in this way, and there's
scarcely a chance of changing that terminology.

But as a matter of ordinary English it's potentially highly
misleading term for anyone who prefers that (for example)
95% means precisely that. I guess for everyone who's ingested
this explanation there are many more who think in terms of
coverage (without necessarily using that term).