RE: st:Confidence interval of difference between two proportions and -csi-

From   "Dupont, William" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st:Confidence interval of difference between two proportions and -csi-
Date   Fri, 19 Mar 2004 09:08:39 -0600

Statalisters

I believe that there is some confusion about the meaning of exact
confidence intervals.  Confidence intervals are defined in two ways.
Let theta be a parameter and L  U be two statistics.  Then confidence
intervals are defined as follows:

Coverage definition:

(L, U) is a 95% confidence interval for theta if Pr[L < theta < U] =
0.95

Non-rejection definition:

A 95% confidence interval, (L, U), consists of all values of theta that
can not be rejected at the 5% significance level given the data.

These two definitions are equivalent for normally distributed data in
which the mean and variance are unrelated.  In epidemiology and other
disciplines we often work with statistics (e.g. odds ratios) in which
these definitions yield different intervals.  Exact confidence intervals
use the non-rejection definition.  When estimating odds ratios from 2x2
tables,  the total number of successes in both groups is close to being
an ancillary statistic in the sense that knowing this total tells us
nothing about the true odds ratio. The Conditionality Principle requires
that we condition our inferences on ancillary statistics.  It is for
this reason that we condition on the marginal totals of a 2x2 table when
making inferences about odds ratios.

If you accept the conditionality argument then the usual exact
confidence interval is correctly derived from the hypergeometric
distribution.  It is an exact interval not because it uses the
hypergeometric distribution but because it complies with the
non-rejection definition given above.  It should be noted that when
these definitions disagree, the non-rejection confidence interval will
have a higher coverage probability than the analogous interval obtained
by the coverage definition.   In this sense, it is a more conservative
interval.

See Rothman and Greenland (1998) for further details.

Bill Dupont