RE: st: Which and return list

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: Which and return list
Date   Fri, 19 Mar 2004 14:31:51 +0000

I guess the flaw with the upstream solution is that this
requires the users of your programs to be as efficient as you
describe.

I get many emails like  "why can't your program do this?" and
generally the solution is have you done this command  -ssc install
prog_in_question,replace-?

This is ok for new features of old commands (that are already implemented)
but when you create a new command that
requires a newer version of an old command should I automatically force
every user to update the commands I want updated? This would be the easiest
way for me and would
be an upstream solution but I doubt the person sitting on a slow phone line
will thank me.

cheers
Ade

Adrian Mander MSc PhD, Principal Statistician, GlaxoSmithKline, Mail Code
HW8133, New Frontiers Science Park (South), Harlow, Essex, CM19 5AW. Tel:
01279 63 1203 Fax: 01279 64 4003

                      "Nick Cox"
                      <[email protected]>

                      Sent by:                         To:      [email protected]
                      owner-statalist@hsphsun2.
                      harvard.edu                      cc:
                                                       Subject: RE: st: Which and return list

                      19-Mar-2004 13:05
                      Please respond to
                      [email protected]
                      d.edu

I sometimes want to distinguish between upstream
and downstream solutions to problems. That is,
_where_ do you catch the problem and tackle it? This is
usually a metaphor of mine, but one which stems
from a professional situation in geography and
a personal situation in which I live right by
what counts as one of Britain's major rivers and
ponder its changing state as I walk to and from
work each day.

Fred here is pondering downstream solutions to
problems. I want to suggest upstream solutions.

Frankly, I think the first problem is
a messy problem. For example, it's not even true that
an ado can be identified by picking up
the first keyword in each line of a do-file (think
prefixes like -quietly-, think continuation lines).
Then what is to be done about -do- files that call
other -do- files or programs, and so on?

Isn't the upstream solution just to think more
about how your collaborators use your programs?
Why not insist that the price of collaboration is
that their -profile.do- installs your latest programs,
bundled as packages, each time they start up their
Stata? (This does depend on your keeping your archive
up-to-date, but it doesn't depend on their remembering
anything, which sounds like the weaker link.)

The second problem prompts me to similar comments.
When I wanted to start keeping tracking of various
programs I had written, it took me an absurdly
long time to realise that the best solution was just
a Stata data file. Once the file was set up, the maintenance
is trivial, and I needed no special tools
for anything, just Stata's built-in commands.