Re: st: RE: Using weights with tabulate command

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: Using weights with tabulate command
Date   Thu, 18 Mar 2004 11:34:23 -0500

At 04:11 PM 3/18/2004 +0000, Nick Cox wrote:
With -tabulate-, weights are assumed to be frequency
weights unless otherwise indicated. Your weights
sound like analytic weights.

. by country: tab illness [aw=weight01]

With -summarize- weights are assumed to be analytic
weights unless otherwise indicated.
Also, for the purposes of the tab command, he might want [iw=weight01]. It depends on what the goal is. This would give you the estimated number of households in each country that have a particular characteristic, e.g. there are are an estimated 400,000 people in the UK with illness 1. You might get Ns in the millions, even though the sample is only a few thousand. With aweights, the weights will be rescaled to reflect the sample Ns. -help weights- provides more info, even better is section 23.16 of the User's Guide. Stata's weighting options are more extensive than what I was used to so reading through that section was very helpful to me.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu