Re: st: repeated values of a variable

From   "Judet Roqueta" <>
To   <>
Subject   Re: st: repeated values of a variable
Date   Tue, 16 Mar 2004 21:46:39 -0500

Thank you so much.  That did the trick!

>>> Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu 03/16/04 9:33 PM >>>
At 09:15 PM 3/16/2004 -0500, Richard Williams wrote:
>At 08:59 PM 3/16/2004 -0500, Judet Roqueta wrote:
>>Is there a way to have Stata identify observations that have
>>values for a given variable?  Speficically, I want to trim my dataset
>>individuals that live in the same household using a household id
>>variable.  I want to get rid of those that live alone.  I tried using
>>the egen tag and egen group commands, but that did not help.
>Is this what you want?
>. egen x = count(id), by(id)
>. drop if x==1

To follow up -- if id is missing, x gets coded 0.  So, if you have
data on the id variable, and you also want such cases dropped, a better
coding would be

. egen x = count(id), by(id)

. keep if x > 1

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463