st: OT: your favorite math equations editor

From   Michael Ash <>
Subject   st: OT: your favorite math equations editor
Date   Thu, 18 Mar 2004 03:53:07 -0500 (EST)

Several posters mentioned LaTeX as the application of choice for technical documents.

LyX is a Free Software WYSIWYG editor for LaTeX.

The download for Windows systems is

More about LyX, documentation, downloads for un*x systems are at

The advantages of LyX are:
- all the aesthetics of LaTeX documents and equations
- easy to embed graphics
- joining the LaTeX community
- high quality WYSIWYG and graphical-user interface
- spell-checking, styles
- output direct to PDF
- free

The disadvantages of LyX (for Windows) are:
- requires a working installation of (also free) MikTeX
- pathnames cannot include spaces " ".  LyX should be
installed in (for example) "c:\lyx\" rather than in
"c:\program files\" and document files should be in (for
example) "c:\docs\" rather than in "c:\my documents\"

Although many users will ultimately prefer to edit LaTeX
directly, Lyx is excellent either as a gateway to LaTeX or
for users who prefer WYSIWYG/GUI.

Michael Ash