RE: st: RE: Maximum likelihood estimation of tobit and probit

From   "Janet Phiri" <>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Maximum likelihood estimation of tobit and probit
Date   Wed, 17 Mar 2004 19:02:23 +0000

Thanks Julian for this information.

However, the errors in the two equations are assumed to be correlated. This is a case of child labor and schooling. So the two decisions are different but potentailly jointly determined. I want the child schooling to be a probit but the child labor to be a tobit (modeling hours of work) instead of it being another probit (you work=1 or do not work=0). I have experience with estimating bivariate probit models (two probit equations) but not where a probit and a tobit are estimated simultaneously. May be it is some type of a seemingly unrelated regression.

Anyone else out there who can help or who has done something similar?

From: "Julian Fennema" <>
To: <>
Subject: st: RE: Maximum likelihood estimation of tobit and probit
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 18:22:16 -0000

Dear Janet,

It sounds like you may be referring to a Cragg-type double hurdle model,
where the probit determines whether the censored dependent variable can
be observed or not.

If this is indeed the case, I have coded this and it can be downloaded
at the following site:

Hope that this is what you are looking for.