st: RE: citing an ado

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: citing an ado
Date   Wed, 17 Mar 2004 13:38:48 -0000

-mvreg- is part of official Stata.

The Stata manuals carry a suggestion for citation:
see verso title page of each manual.

The same question about user-written software
would. I suggest, be answered this way:

1. Use a reference to the Stata Journal, Stata
Technical Bulletin, Journal of Statistical Software,
etc., for programs published via any journal;

2. Use a URL for public domain programs accessible
via the internet (e.g. SSC) together with an access date;

3. Acknowledge a private source otherwise.

Naturally journals have their own house styles
affecting details.

I'll add thanks on behalf of all those
Stata programmers of whatever size, shape or
status who are grateful when their work is
appreciated.