Re: st: repeated values of a variable

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: repeated values of a variable
Date   Tue, 16 Mar 2004 21:33:38 -0500

At 09:15 PM 3/16/2004 -0500, Richard Williams wrote:
At 08:59 PM 3/16/2004 -0500, Judet Roqueta wrote:
Is there a way to have Stata identify observations that have equivalent
values for a given variable?  Speficically, I want to trim my dataset to
individuals that live in the same household using a household id
variable.  I want to get rid of those that live alone.  I tried using
the egen tag and egen group commands, but that did not help.
Is this what you want?

. egen x = count(id), by(id)

. drop if x==1
To follow up -- if id is missing, x gets coded 0. So, if you have missing data on the id variable, and you also want such cases dropped, a better coding would be

. egen x = count(id), by(id)

. keep if x > 1

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373