st: moving average

From   Chip Hunter <>
Subject   st: moving average
Date   Mon, 15 Mar 2004 16:57:06 -0600

I have what I thought was an unremarkable panel data set containing monthly performance data for 300 employees for 36 months. There is sporadic missing data and not everyone starts in month 1 or finishes in month 36.

I am having trouble using the " tssmooth ma " command. Specifically, if I type

tssmooth ma foo=performance, window (1 1 1)

then the result makes good sense.

But any use of lags or leads great than 1 results in the same error. For example

tssmooth ma foo=performance, window (2 1 2)

leads to the message
window( ) invalid -- invalid numlist has elements outside of allowed range .

The manual tells me that the first and third arguments can accept integer values ranging from 0 to one-half the number of observations in the sample. What's wrong here?

Chip Hunter

Chip Hunter
University of Wisconsin-Madison
School of Business