st: Couldn't Create Lag Variable in STATA

Subject   st: Couldn't Create Lag Variable in STATA
Date   Thu, 11 Mar 2004 22:33:01 -0500

I have a dataset I couldn't create lag variable. The details are as follows:

It is a variable for each state and each year. So what I did was:

sort state year
gen V1=V[_n-1]

However, what I got in STATA is
weights not allowed

Anyone have any idea what is going on? How can I create a lag variable in this case?

Thank you very much.

Only $9.95 a month -- Sign up today at

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

Download now at