st: data management problem

From   "Dietrich Drüner" <Dietrich.Druener@web.de>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   st: data management problem
Date   Thu, 11 Mar 2004 12:04:14 +0100

Dear statalisters,

here is my simple but nonetheless tricky problem to merge two data sets:

My master data set has 62 observations and 312 variables.

I want to merge it with a using data set containing 16 variables for the same! 62 observations, some are string and some numerical variables. I could even include a code variable from 1 to 62 that is identical in both data sets.

When I use "append", stata generates 62 new observations (creating a total of 124 observations) with missing values for all except the 16 new variables (and missings for the 16 new variables in observations 1 to 62), when I use "merge" , stata tells me my master data was not sorted, even though it is, or that it doesn't find the first variable (of the using data set).

I would be grateful for hints to solve this problem!

Dietrich.

--

  Dietrich Drüner
  Schneckenburgstr. 24