Re: st: non-integer frequencies?

Subject   Re: st: non-integer frequencies?
Date   Wed, 10 Mar 2004 23:29:46 -0500

At 09:49 PM 3/10/2004 -0600, ACHINTYA RAY wrote:
Sample surveys oftentimes provide weights to convert sample estimates into
representative population figures. Sometimes such frequency weights are not
integers (For example, National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey
III). It seems that Stata can only deal with integer frequency weights. Is
there a solution? The best that I can do right now is to take the nearest
integer to the non-integer frequencies. This method seems rather adhoc. Any
help will be deeply appreciated.
I think iweights will work, at least if the command allows the use of iweights. e.g. I just tried

. sum income

Variable | Obs Mean Std. Dev. Min Max
-------------+--------------------------------------------------------
income | 500 27.79 8.973491 5 48.3

. sum income [fw=1.2]
may not use noninteger frequency weights
r(401);

. sum income [iw=1.2]

Variable | Obs Weight Mean Std. Dev. Min Max
income | 500 600 27.79 8.971993 5 48.3

However, remember that, for purposes of statistical inference, the numbers you get are wrong.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]