st: Capturing the data type of a variable

From   "HEWETT, PAUL" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Capturing the data type of a variable
Date   Mon, 8 Mar 2004 12:01:16 -0500

I am looking to loop through each of the variables in my dataset and manipulate variables that are of data type str10 or more. Is there any way I can capture the data type of a variable? Neither describe or codebook seem to have return codes r( ) that would serve this purpose. If I can capture the variable type as a string, e.g., "byte", "str5", "integer" it would easy from there.

Much thanks,