RE: st: gini coeff

From   "Stephen P Jenkins" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: gini coeff
Date   Mon, 8 Mar 2004 10:15:50 -0000

I admit that /I/ am confused because you don't state clearly enough (for
me)
what it is that you really want to do; nor did you do so in your first
message.
But anyway, here goes ...
Re Q1: I don't know why you get an error using -if- option with
-ginidesc-:
contact the authors.  I don't understand the statement about doing
separately and
appending -- the sample code I gave you showed how to get tract-specific
indices
in the current data set
Q2. Yes.  By definition, to calculate the subgroup Gini, you use data
from that subgroup.
Q3. I cannot speak for -ginidesc-; I do not know the answer. But
-indeqdeco- and -inequal7- give correct answers as far as I know, and
the same answer.

To reiterate what I said last time: which program you want to use
depends on your goal. If you just want the tract-specific Ginis, you can
use -indeqdeco- in the ways I discussed last time. If you want to
decompose the Gini into within/between/overlapping terms, use
-ginidesc-.

Moreover you needed to provide more information about the nature of your
data. (Is the observation level the county or the
individual/household/family/? )

Stephen
Professor Stephen P. Jenkins <[email protected]>
Institute for Social and Economic Research
University of Essex, Colchester CO4 3SQ, U.K.
Tel: +44 1206 873374.  Fax: +44 1206 873151.
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk