st: gini coeff

From   "Do, Phoenix" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: gini coeff
Date   Sat, 6 Mar 2004 18:37:50 -0800

I am calculating a gini coeff for each tract in my census dataset. The observations are at the blockgroup level and I have 3 counties.

This is my command:

ginidesc  percapi, bygroup(tract)

However, when I use only a subset of my data, some of the ginicoeff change. I thought the ginicoeffs were not influenced by the composition of other tracts. In other words, the ginicoeff of tractA depends only on the income distribution of the blockgroups within tractA and is independent of the income distributions of other tracts. I am finding this to not be the case.

I would appreciate any advice or explanations.

Thanks in advance,
Phoenix