Re: st: re-installing and downloaded program files

Subject   Re: st: re-installing and downloaded program files
Date   Fri, 05 Mar 2004 17:00:28 -0500

At 04:29 PM 3/5/2004 -0500, Steve Harvey wrote:
Dear stata-listers:

My computer is undergoing neural disturbances and may need to be sent back to the mfg. for repair. This will likely result in a need to re-install all software and datafiles. Since installing Stata 8 about a year ago, I have done periodic updates on the web and also installed a variety of extra "third party" ado files and programs (pscore, swor, hotdeck, etc.) using the "findit" command.

Is there any way to preserve all this before I send my computer off for repair (e.g., burn all the .exe and ado files onto a CD & copy them back later)? Or will I have to re-install the original version of Stata from CD ROM and then find and re-install updates & additional files one-by-one?
If you are using defaults, then copying c:\ado, c:\Stata8, and c:\Data will probably leave you in good shape. (If not using defaults, just find the right directories; from within Stata, the command -sysdir- should tell you where the program-related stuff is). At a minimum, c:\ado will save you the hassle of having to *findit* everything again, since everything you use findit for goes into there. I don't think you'll have to reinstall from scratch, but even if you do, it should just be a matter of installing, and then doing an update all command.

The -findit- and -update- commands don't work on one of my machines for some reason, so I periodically copy c:\Stata8 and c:\ado from one machine to the other, and all seems to work fine.

If you've done a bunch of quirky customizations, you will want to jot them down. Of course, that is true for all the software you are using.

Good luck. Reinstallation is never pleasant, but hopefully you won't have to do too much searching around for all your old installation CDs.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]