st: generate variable with frequencies time series

From   Martin Ebert <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: generate variable with frequencies time series
Date   Tue, 2 Mar 2004 11:43:09 +0100

probably this is a rather dumb question, but I'm not really familiar
with time series analysis with stata.

For my master thesis I made a content analysis of two newspapers. I
sampled randomly 2 days per week. After that I collected all relevant
articles within one newspaperissue.

If I want to tsset my data to define it as a time series, Stata says,
that there are repeated time values in the sample! (first because of
the two papaers, second because I collected multiple articles per day)

to solve this problem I think I have to aggragate my data to weeks and
report the frequencies for each value of my variables for each week. So
I got one observation (the frequencies) per week.

First I generated a new variable with stata elapsed time format for my
days and transformed it to weeks.

Now I don't know how to get the frequencies of my variables for a
certain week.

Probably this is pretty easy to do with stata but I don't have a clue
and still waiting for the stata user manual for time series data.

I hope you can help me with my problem

Thank you

Martin