RE: st: Making saveold a permanent option

From   "Mark Schaffer" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: Making saveold a permanent option
Date   Wed, 3 Mar 2004 10:04:08 -0000

I agree with Richard here.  Don't forget that the takeup of a new
version of Stata sometimes isn't even synchronised within a single
institution (say, a network version for students vs. the staff
version vs. the standalone version on a laptop), let alone
synchronised around the world.  The incompatibilities of the .dta
formats are a nusiance while coauthors, colleagues and students are
using different versions.

I don't think making it easier for Stata 7 users to read Stata 8 data
is going to provide much of an incentive for them to stay with Stata
7.  Roughly speaking, if they have the budget and want the new
features of Stata 8 (including the user community's ados), they'll
upgrade, otherwise they won't.

--Mark