Re: st: Stata window shuts unexpectedly

Subject   Re: st: Stata window shuts unexpectedly
Date   Tue, 02 Mar 2004 22:50:44 -0500

At 10:21 PM 3/2/2004 -0500, de la Garza, Adrian wrote:
I sent an e-mail a couple of months ago and I believe someone said this was a bug and nothing could be done. Several times when I type a command and press enter, Stata closes automatically as if I had pressed the "Close Window" cross on the right top corner of the window. This has been occurring more and more frequently and it has already caused me a lot of headaches! Anyone has a solution? Is there a patch to prevent this from happening? A new version? I am using Stata 8.2.

Thank you!
Adrian
To me, that sounds like the sort of problem you have as your whole system is starting to get corrupted. Back when I was using Win98, every several months I would wipe the HD clean and reinstall everything. With WinXP, I have far fewer problems, but I still suspect it would be a good idea as I get some weird lockups or programs aborting sometimes. Of course, you can spend a lot of time doing this, only to find that the problem still persists!

A less extreme solution might be to disable a lot of programs that automatically load at boot time. Some of these can be found in your startup folder, but there may be others. If you can get Stata running fine, you can then systematically reload other programs and maybe you'll eventually find one that is causing you problems.

You might also start by temporarily disabling your antivirus program. I've had various weird problems that got solved by tweaking a parameter in my Norton Antivirus.

You might find you have programs running in the background that you don't even know about and definitely don't need. A few years ago there was a faculty member here who could not understand why his computer had slowed down to a crawl. He finally brought the tech people in, and they discovered that his son had set the machine up as a Napster Server! So you might be surprised at what you find if you do some digging.

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/