st: storing elapsed time in a variable

From   "Schonlau, Matthias" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: storing elapsed time in a variable
Date   Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:29:52 -0800

Dear Stata listers :

I would like to know how much time a portion of my code takes to run. The only way I can think of is using

set rmsg on
c(current_time) before and after the section of the program.

That gives me the time - but it is not automated. I have many different input parameters for this section of the program it would be time consuming to write all times down by hand.

Is there a way of  storing elapsed time in a variable?

I tried it without success:  the following fails somewhere in the first two lines:

				local timestring c(current_time)
				tokenize `timestring', parse(":")
				local hour1 = real(`1')
				local minute1 = real(`2')