st: smart automatic updates 1

From   Lars Korsholm <>
Subject   st: smart automatic updates 1
Date   Thu, 26 Feb 2004 16:55:14 +0100 (MET)

Hi Listers

I would like to write a small program to be run each midnight or weekly
on a network-server with stata.
I would like the program to update stata
if the update is timed out etc, I would like it to retry a specified
number of times, and when the update is succesful run -update swap-
and when the update quntinuous to fail I would like an error in a log or

Look this would be very smart! :-)

However I cant fiugre out how to get hold on the right locals at the right
steps in the procedure. Can anyone of the more skilled members tell me?

A first draft of could be

        /* Check for updates */
        qui update query
        local adoinst = r(inst_ado)
        local adoavbl = r(avbl_ado)
        local exeinst = r(inst_exe)
        local exeavbl = r(avbl_exe)

        if `adoinst' != `adoavbl'  |  `exeinst'!=`exeavbl' {
          while ..... {
              update all
          if `exeinst'!=`exeavbl' & [update were succesful] {
                    update swap
          if [update were NOT succesful] {
                     di "unsuccesfull update"
         else {