st: Export to WMF/EMF

From   Friedrich Huebler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Export to WMF/EMF
Date   Mon, 23 Feb 2004 08:21:15 -0800 (PST)

When a graph contains a large amount of data, Stata has problems
exporting the graph to WMF and EMF format as the following commands
demonstrate. I initially observed this behavior with -tabplot- but
was able to reproduce it with -scatter-.

set mem 5m
set scheme s2color
sysuse auto
expand 1000
bysort mpg: gen freq = _N
scatter mpg weight, mlabel(freq)
graph export graph1.wmf
graph export graph2.wmf
graph export graph3.wmf

The first exported WMF graph (graph1.wmf) looks almost identical to
the one drawn by Stata but most frequency labels have shifted to a
different position. The other two graphs (graph2.wmf and graph3.wmf)
are entirely blue. In the case of -tabplot-, the labels were also
misaligned and the second and third exported graphs had the wrong
colors (blue plot region that should be white, blue bars that should
be red).

set mem 5m
set scheme s2color
sysuse auto
expand 1000
bysort mpg: gen freq = _N
scatter mpg weight, mlabel(freq)
graph export graph1.emf
graph export graph2.emf
graph export graph3.emf

When these commands are executed, Stata reports that the graphs are
exported ("file C:\...\graph1.emf written in Enhanced Metafile
format") but no EMF files are created.

Can others reproduce this behavior? Is this due to a limitation of
Stata or Windows? I use Stata 8.2 with the latest updates and Windows
XP Professional SP 1.

Friedrich Huebler