Re: st: newbie question on replacing variables in do file

From   Philip Ryan <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: newbie question on replacing variables in do file
Date   Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:48:11 +1030

It's sometimes useful in these situations (experimenting with code in a do
file) to make use of Stata's -tempvar- command.  You can declare a bunch of
tempvars near the beginning of your sequence of commands, and code using these
(remembering the left-and-right quote delimiters!), knowing that Stata will
automatically drop the tempvars at the end of running your commands.

So, as a silly example:

sysuse auto, clear
tempvar var1 var2
gen `var1' = price*2
gen `var2' = !foreign
label var `var2' "US made"
table `var2', c(mean price mean `var1')

once you are sure you have your code correct you may wish to do a search &
replace with a permanent name (or just maybe elevate the do code to ado
status).

Phil

 Quoting Alan Acock <[email protected]>:

> When I run a series of commands to generate new variables in a do file and
> realize I made a mistake on one of them, I would like to fix the mistake,
> highlight the section of commands, and run the selection. When I do this,
> Stata says the generated variables already exist. Sooooo, I need to drop
> each variable I created in the series of commands, and then re-run them. I
> assume this is a way Stata has to prevent accidently replacing a variable.
> QUESTION: How can I have the gen and egen commands replace the variables I
> want it to replace rathr than having to first drop them???
> Alan Acock
> [email protected]

Philip Ryan
Associate Professor
Department of Public Health
University of Adelaide
5005 South Australia
AUSTRALIA
CRICOS Provider Number 00123M
copyright.  If you are not the intended recipient please
prohibited. No representation is made that this email or
any attachments are free of viruses. Virus scanning is