st: RE: Re: Normality Testing

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: Normality Testing
Date   Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:33:29 -0000

I can't see your variable to comment but these
results don't surprise me.

If you

sysuse auto
foreach v of var price-gear {
	qui swilk `v' if foreign
	di "`v' {col 20}" %4.3f r(p)
}

you will get this:

price              0.004
mpg                0.495
rep78              0.293
headroom           0.940
trunk              0.809
weight             0.026
length             0.813
turn               0.996
displacement       0.083
gear_ratio         0.013

If you then follow up, as you did,
with say -qnorm- then -- even
with a sample size this low, 22,
chosen to be of the same order as
your example -- you will see that
a low P-value can correspond to
variables which look as if they should
be transformed and variables which,
to be sure, don't look exactly normal
but would probably not be problematic
for -anova-. In short "looks as if it
isn't normal" is not the same as "looks
as if it would be problematic".

In any case I would put more emphasis
on choosing response scale on scientific
or substantive grounds than because of this
normality assumption (which, additionally,
is about errors, not responses). The
manual entry [R] diagnostic plots points
to Rupert Miller's book, which is excellent
reading for this area.

One of many merits of -glm- is that it lets you decouple the
question of response scale and error distribution.

Karamjit Shad