From   Joseph Coveney <>
To   Statalist <>
Subject   Re: st: GET SAMPLES IN STATA
Date   Mon, 09 Feb 2004 20:57:02 +0900

You can flag training samples by -generate byte training = (uniform() < X)-,
where X is the percentage of the total dataset that you want to use for
training.  So, for example, if you want to use 33% for training and keep the
remaining 67% for holdout, then the commands would be:

set seed <seed>
generate byte training = uniform() < 0.33
<command> if training

Joseph Coveney