st: Re: reading Stata file format

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: reading Stata file format
Date   Sat, 7 Feb 2004 17:30:19 -0500

On Feb 7, 2004, at 2:33 AM, Salah wrote:

[SM] For an example of the above see the C code for the R library "Foreign"
available from the R-project website. This library can read/write Stata
files (not sure about Stata 8 file format).

Very helpful. I was working from my Stata 7 manuals when I wrote my earlier message. There is a version 8 entry [p] file formats .dta, but it is (in programming terms) just a pointer (unlike the version 7 entry, which had gory details). Dereferencing leads to "whelp dta", which "contains all the details a programmer will need" (there must be some implicit assumption there of the caliber of programmer: in my experience not all of them out there are as well trained as Stata Corp's cadre). The hardcopy entry also points to a useful trick for those who might like a PostScript copy of that (or any other) help file (most useful for those using an OS lacking a "save as PDF" button, I imagine...)

Kit

*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/